The American Society of Registered Nurses has the following strategic objectives:
- Promoting scholarly research and communication, domestically and internationally.
- Promoting high quality teaching and education for nurses.
- Diversifying the profession and representing its diversity.
- Increasing academic and non-academic opportunities for its members.
- Strengthening the professional environment for nurses.
- Stimulating scholarship and intelligent interest in nursing.
- Recognizing outstanding work in the discipline.
- Encouraging the application of rigorous ethical and intellectual standards in the profession.
- Serving the public.