1. Be regular, honorary, or international members for three continuous years immediately prior to election and must have been certified in emergency medicine at the time of election by the American Board of Emergency Medicine, the American Osteopathic Board of Emergency Medicine, or in pediatric emergency medicine by the American Board of Pediatrics. Maintenance of Fellow status requires continued membership in the College. In addition, the following requirements demonstrating evidence of high professional standing must be met by candidates some time during their professional career prior to application.
A. At least three years of active involvement in nursing as their chief professional activity, exclusive of residency training, and;
B. Satisfaction of at least three of the following individual criteria during their professional career:
1. Active involvement, beyond holding membership, in voluntary health organizations, organized medical societies, or voluntary community health planning activities or service;
2. Active involvement in the Honor Society, such as committee memberships, written articles for the Journal of Nursing, Journal of Advanced Practice Nursing, or volunteer work in the virtual hospital, as attested to by Council in January 2015;
3. Active involvement in the formal teaching of nursing to nursing students, out-of-hospital care personnel, or the public;
4. Active involvement in nursing or departmental affairs;
5. Active involvement in a leadership program;
6. Research in nursing;
7. Active involvement in ASRN Honor Society activities as attested by the executive director;
8. Member of a national ASRN committee, the ASRN Executive Council, or national Board of Directors;
9. Examiner for, director of, or involvement in test development and/or administration for the American Board of Emergency Medicine or the American Osteopathic Board of Emergency Medicine;
10. Reviewer for or editor or listed author of a published article or reference material in the field of nursing in a recognized journal or book.
Provision of documentation of the satisfaction of the above criteria is the responsibility of the candidate and determination of the satisfaction of these criteria shall be by the Board of Directors of ASRN or its designee. Fellows shall be authorized to use the letters FASRN in conjunction with professional activities. Fees, procedures for election, and reasons for termination of Fellows shall be determined by the ASRN Board of Directors.